Pursuant to Clause 4 of Article 16 of ABEEK Constitution, ABEEK will reevaluate accreditation decisions in accordance with the following rules.
Pursuant to Clause 4 of Article 16 of ABEEK Constitution, institution/program in engineering may appeal, within seven (7) days of the date the accreditation decision has been notified, each "not-to-accredit" decision granted by ABEEK. The appeal shall be in the form of a Formal Written Appeals Notice containing grounds and/or complete evidence in support of the appeal addressed from the head of the institution to the Chair of the Board of Directors of ABEEK (hereinafter referred to as BOD Chair). Upon receipt of the Formal Written Appeal Notice, the BOD Chair shall form Appeals Committee (as per Article 4) within seven (7) days.
Appeals Committee conducts review of accreditation decision based on documents submitted heretofore by both the institution/program and Accreditation Council
- Review is conducted in strict accordance with the rules and procedures stipulated here.
- Review is confined to errors and/or irregularities pertaining to procedural abnormalities during accreditation evaluation and/or to interpretation/application of relevant accreditation criteria. Changes and/or improvements effected by the subject institution/program after "not-to-accredit" decision has been granted by ABEEK are specifically excluded from consideration.
- The Final Verdict of Appeals Committee in response to an appeal shall be exactly one of “justifiable cause for appeal exists” or “justifiable cause for appeal does not exist” with the former verdict not necessarily implying/effecting immediate and automatic change in "not-to-accredit" decision.
- Appeals Committee shall be composed of at least five (5) members, to be called Appeals Committee Members, to be appointed by the BOD Chair—with at least two (2) members drawn from persons with experiences as either Team Chair or Accreditation Council Member, at least one (1) member with accreditation evaluation experience as recommended by the respective lead academic society associated with the subject program(s) in engineering. The BOD Chair shall also appoint the Appeals Committee Chair from amongst the Appeals Committee Members appointed.
- Membership in the Appeals Committee commences upon appointment and terminates upon the reporting of the Final Verdict to the Chair of the Board of Directors.
The BOD Chair may commission the Chair of the Administrative Department to serve as Claim Agent of the institution lodging the appeal.
If deemed necessary, Appeals Committee may request Accreditation Council Member(s) to testify at its meetings.
Accreditation Council and Accreditation Commission shall provide all documents related to the institution/program lodging the appeal to Appeals Committee.
- Meeting is convened by the Appeals Committee Chair at the request of the Chair of the Board of Directors.
- Meeting is declared convened with a simple majority presence of the Appeals Committee Members.
- The resolution at the meeting shall be decided by a simple majority voting of the Appeals Committee Members present. The Appeals Committee Chair shall decide in the case of a tie vote.
The Final Verdict of the Appeals Committee in response to an appeal shall be exactly one of “justifiable cause for appeal exists” or “justifiable cause for appeal does not exist”. The Appeals Committee Chair shall report in writing the Final Verdict of the Appeals Committee to the BOD Chair. In the case of a “justifiable cause for appeal exists” verdict, the BOD Chair shall cause the case to be reevaluated by Accreditation Council by filing a written request to the President of ABEEK whereupon the Accreditation Council must arbitrate on the Final Decision. The Final Verdict of the Appeals Committee must be handed down within thirty (30) days from the receipt of a Formal Written Appeals Notice. The final verdict shall be terminal, i.e., no further appeal shall be allowed.
President of ABEEK shall immediately inform Accreditation Council of the Final Verdict of the Appeals Committee as relayed by the BOD Chair. For the verdict of “justifiable cause for appeal does not exist”, the President shall inform the verdict to the head of the pertinent institution in writing within seven (7) days of receiving the verdict. For the verdict of “justifiable cause for appeal exists”, the President shall solicit opinion of Accreditation Council within 14 days of receiving the verdict. The President shall inform the result of reevaluation of Accreditation Council to the head of the pertinent institution in writing within 21 days of receiving the verdict.